The Top 4 Tips For Success When Flipping Houses
Lots of people are flipping houses these days, and if you're unfamiliar with the term, flipping a house simply means buying and then selling a home quickly for profit. There are different ways to do this, but in this article we will focus on buying a home under market value, rehabbing it, and then selling it for a profit within a short time frame, usually a couple of months or so. And here are the top four tips for making money when you flip houses.
1. The first and most important point to keep in mind is to thoroughly know the houses that you buy. Instead of looking for potential houses to buy all over town, try to focus on one particular area and get to know real estate values in that area extremely well. Find out what kind of houses seem to sell quicker than others. Find out what features seem to be most important to buyers in that area. Get to know the average costs for homes in that area. The more information you have about the market you have chosen, the better decisions you can usually make when it comes time to buy.
2. Especially when you are first starting out trying to flip houses profitably, you need to stay focused on those that mainly have cosmetic problems, or ugly houses, in order to make the most profit. Look for houses that have old, faded, chipping paint. Also look for those where the outside yard and landscaping is a mess and need serious attention. These curb appeal problems can be fixed very easily and relatively inexpensively while greatly increasing the value of the home. On the inside, don't be afraid to buy houses that smell bad, have holes in the wall, lots of stains in the carpet, and so on. All of these are cosmetic blemishes that can be remedied easily and quickly and make a huge difference in the eye appeal of the home.
3. It's also important for newer home flippers to avoid major structural and remodeling problems. For instance, having to replace an entire roof is going to be expensive and fairly difficult. You also want to avoid problems involving the foundation, and most heavy-duty plumbing and electrical issues as well. When you get more experienced flipping houses, these types of issues can be profitably handled. But at this point, try not to tackle something that may be way over your head as you gain experience in this field.
4. Keeping your personal credit score high and without blemish is important when flipping houses, in order to help you get the best financing possible for each project. Of course, real estate investment properties can be bought with poor credit, but you'll pay dearly for it in higher fees and interest rates which eat steadily into your profit margins. So keep your credit in good shape, and keep your credit score as high as possible in order to qualify for the best loan rates and terms possible.
When you begin flipping houses, you will learn from every single project as you go. And each one that sells for profit will help you gain more confidence in your abilities, and in the support team that you develop in the construction and real estate fields. Hopefully, some of the suggestions given above can help you get off to a great start as you start flipping houses for profit.
You can find out about house flipping and buying investment properties and more by visiting our Real Estate website.
Additional Flipping House Articles
Investment Property or Income Property?
If you are a young professional aspiring to be wealthy and looking for extra income opportunities, then you have probably checked out the real estate market. Many are making a fortune through real estate...
Five Tips For The First Time Buyer
1. Determine your specific needs as a first-time buyer. How much room do you need? Are you concerned about schools? Commuting time? Proximity to family and friends? Is this a starter home, or are you likely...
The Microwave Approach to Investing
We live in a society obsessed with a microwave approach to life. We want what we want and we want it NOW! No doubt, we're impatient. So how do you and I cope with our desire for instant gratification?Sure...
Tips & tricks to investing in property
Property investment has a lot of potential benefits, and it can help you build up a substantial wealth, in time of course. However, property investing has some risks, and no one can gurantee that everything...